Tokyo Marathon 2009
doubles as Japanese Men’s National Team Selection Race for the 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics
|Organizers||JAAF (Japan Association of Athletics Federations), Tokyo Metropolitan Government|
|Co-organizers||Fuji Television Network, Inc., Sankei Shimbun Co., Ltd.,
Yomiuri Shimbun Co., Ltd. , Nippon Television Network Co.,
|Supporting Organizations||Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Japan, Metropolitan Tokyo Mayor's Council, Japan Sports Association, Japanese Olympic Committee, Tokyo 2016 Bid Committee, Japan Sports Association for the Disabled, Nippon Keidanren (Japan Business Federation), Keizai Doyukai (Japan Association of Corporate Executives), The Nippon Foundation, The Tokyo Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Tokyo Medical Association, Tokyo Nursing Association, Tokyo Convention & Visitors Bureau, Tokyo Federation of Neighborhood Associations, Tokyo Federation of Shopping Center Promotion Associations, Tokyo Federation of Shopping Center, Tokyo Sports Association, Tokyo Sports Coaching Council, The Hochi Shimbun, The Hochi Simbun, Radio Nippon Co. LTD., Sankei Sports, Yukan Fuji, Sankei Living Shimbun Inc., Nippon Broadcasting System, Inc., Fuji Sankei Business i., SANKEI EXPRESS, Fusosha, Tokyo Chunichi Sports|
|Managing Organization||Tokyo Amateur Athletic Association|
|Operation support||Tokyo Sports Association for the Disabled|
|Special Support||Sasakawa Sports Foundation|
|Presenting Sponsor||Tokyo Metro Co., Ltd.|
|Official Sponsor||STARTS CORPORATION INC., Yamazaki Baking Co., Ltd., ASICS Corporation, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION, SEIKO SPORTS LIFE CO.,LTD., NIHON KOHDEN CORPORATION, Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co.,Inc., Koyou Lease Co.,Ltd., JTB Corp., Seven-Eleven Japan Co., Ltd., Tokyo Big Sight Inc., Japan Airlines, Photocreate Co., Ltd.|
|Official Suppliers||Aomori Apple Growers Association, Raisin Administrative Committee, JA-NIIGATA・NIIGATA PREFECTURE, TANAKA KIKINZOKU JEWERY K.K., TSUKIJI MARKET ASSOCIATION, YODOBASI WHOLESALE MARKET ASSOCIATION, Dole Japan, Ltd., HATO BUS Co., Ltd.|
2) 10km Race
|Date & Time||Sunday, March 22, 2009
9:05 a.m. (Wheelchair Start)
9:10 a.m. (Elite and Mass Race Start)
16:10 p.m. Marathon Finish
|Broadcaster||Fuji Television Network, Inc.,|
Tokyo Metropolitan Government building -- Iidabashi -- Imperial Palace -- Hibiya -- Shinagawa -- Ginza -- Nihombashi -- Asakusa Kaminari-mon -- Tsukiji -- Toyosu ? Tokyo Big Sight
10km Race:Tokyo Metropolitan Government building-- Iidabashi -- Imperial Palace -- Hibiya Park
The races are conducted in accordance with the rules and regulations of the JAAF and Race Organizer.
Marathon : 7 hours
Scheduled race cut-off times from last year are shown below. This year’s cut-off time is TBD.
|Maximum number of entrants||
Marathon : 30,000 runners
10km Race 5,000 runners
|Qualification||1) Marathon: Must be at least 19 years of age on the race day
1-1) Mass participants: Runners, both men and women (including handicapped, domestic and international runners recommended by the race organizer), capable of completing the race under 6 hours and 40 minutes.
- Athletes registered with the JAAF.
- Athletes not registered with the JAAF.
1-2) Elite Runners:
- Total of two hundred runners, including both men and women, who satisfy the special requirements set by the JAAF.
- Invited runners: domestic and international runners recommended by the JAAF.
1-3) Wheelchair: Total of twenty-five athletes, including both men and women, capable of completing the race within 2 hours 10 minutes riding the racing wheelchair.
2) 10km Race: Must be at least 16 years of age on the race day
2-1) Mass Race: Runners (both men and women) capable of finishing the race within one hour and thirty minutes.
2-2) Special Race:
1) Wheelchair: Twenty-five athletes (both men and women) capable of finishing the race within 60 minutes on the racing wheelchair.
2) Fifty pairs of male and female visually impaired runners with companions.
3) One hundred male and female intellectually challenged runners.
4) Fifty male and female runners.
Note :Only organ or bone marrow transplant runners will be classified as runners.
Note :If necessary, escort runners are permitted. (However, guide-dog is not allowed on the course)
|Prize Money||For the marathon race, prize money (amount TBD on the later date) based on the results will be awarded.|
Marathon : 12000 Yen
10km Race : 6000 Yen
2) Application Period
From July 22, 2008 to September 22, 2008
In case the number of applicants exceeds the prescribed number, entrants will be decided by a lottery.
Selected applicants must pay the entry fee.
|Miscellaneous issues||1) Charity event to promote the awareness of environmental/ecological issues will be held in conjunction with the race.
2) If the event is cancelled due to the reason beyond the control of the organizer, the entry fee will NOT be refunded to the runner.
3) The event will abide by all domestic laws and regulations.
|Application policies||(1) Please apply through the Tokyo Marathon website
(2) The application is open from July 22 (Tuesday) to September 22 (Monday), 2008
(3) In case of oversubscription, entrants will be selected by a random lottery drawing. The result of the lottery will be notified by mid-November. Depending on the circumstances additional lottery may be held to select additional entries.
(4) Runners selected by lottery must deposit the race entry fee to the designated account before the deadline. Failure to do so will result in cancelation of entry. Please note that bank transaction fee is a responsibility of the entrant.
[i] Awards will be presented to top eight finishers for both men and women.
[ii] Aside from overall top eight finishers (covered in category [i]), awards will be presented to top three finishers in each age group (ages in five-years interval are grouped together) for both men and women. Finisher’s certificate will be mailed on the later date.
[iii] Awards will be presented to top eight wheelchair finishers for both men and women
[i] Awards will be presented to top eight finishers for both men and women
[ii] Awards will be presented to top eight wheelchair finishers for both men and women
[iii] Awards will be presented to top eight visually impaired finishers for both men and women
[iv] Awards will be presented to top eight mentally finishers for both men and women
[v] Awards will be presented to top eight finishers for both men and women
|Runners' check-in||Bib Number Pick Up）
(1) Three days from March 19 (Thursday) to 21 (Saturday), 2009
(2) At Tokyo Big Sight West Exhibition Hall
(3) Time (Tentative) 10:00 ? 19:30
[i] Check-in desk is closed on the race day (March 22 (Sunday))
[ii] Check-in desk is closed outside the designated hours as shown above
[iii] ID will be checked at the race check-in (race check-in by a representative are not permitted)
[iv] The race check-in cannot be processed without a valid ID.
[v] Check-in procedure for wheelchair athletes will be announced on the later date
|On protection of confidential information||The local organizer recognizes the individual's right to privacy and will take all appropriate steps to keep individual's information confidential. The information provided in the application form will only be used to provide better service, such as providing guide and instructions to participants or reporting records and other information to the runners. Information may also be used by race sponsors and other organizations supporting the event to provide various services to the runners.
Furthermore, race organizer or sponsoring organization may contact the runners if they saw a need to confirm information provided by the race entrants.
|Miscellaneous||(1) If the event is cancelled due to the reason beyond the control of the race organizer, the race entry fee will not be refunded.
(2) If you are registered with JAAF, please obtain correct registration information for the application form. We will verify the information. The runners registered with the JAAF entitled to line up immediately behind the elite runners.
(3) We kindly ask the runners to prepare well for the race. Specifically, runners are expected to train sufficiently for the event and have a physical checkup before participating in the event.
(4) The race organizer will transport the runners' bags from the start area to the finish area. Please note that due to traffic conditions, bags may be delayed.
(5) The race organizer cannot be held responsible for runners missing the start time, if the delay was caused by traffic congestions or delay in public transportation.
(6) The runners are forbidden from displaying product names, company logo or trade marks for the purpose of advertisement in the event area (e.g., start and finish area as well as on the course).
(7) The race organizer may permit commission sale of products such as photographs.
(8) For matters not covered above, please follow the instructions from the marathon office staff.
(9) Receipt for race entry fee will not be issued by the race organizer:
When paying by a credit card:
Please refer to itemized list of purchases or receipt issued by the Credit Card Company.
When paying through postal transfer or at a convenience store:
Please refer to the document issued by post office or convenience store.
(10) This form is for the Tokyo Marathon 2009