■ Guideline for applicants
Race NameTokyo Marathon 2013
(doubles as a trials race for the Japanese national male team selection for the 14th IAAF World Championships in Athletics)
OrganizerTokyo Marathon Foundation
Co-organizersJAAF (Japan Association of Athletics Federations), Tokyo Metropolitan Government, Fuji Television Network, Inc., Sankei Shimbun Co., Ltd., The Yomiuri Shimbun, Nippon Television Network Corporation and Tokyo Shimbun
Supporting Organizations (Tentative List)Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Japan Tourism Agency, Metropolitan Tokyo Mayors' Council, Japan Sports Association, Japanese Olympic Committee, Japan Sports Association for the Disabled, Nippon Keidanren (Japan Business Federation), Keizai Doyukai (Japan Association of Corporate Executives), Tokyo Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Tokyo Medical Association, Tokyo Nursing Association, Tokyo Convention & Visitors Bureau, Tokyo Federation of Neighborhood Associations, Tokyo Federation of Shopping Center Promotion Associations & Tokyo Federation of Shopping Centers, Tokyo Amateur Athletic Association, Community Sports Commissioners Tokyo, Sankei Sports, Yukan Fuji, Sankei Living Shimbun Inc., Nippon Broadcasting System, Inc., Fuji Sankei Business i, SANKEI EXPRESS, Fusosha, Hochi Shimbun, Radio Nippon Co., Ltd., and Tokyo Chunichi Sports.
Managing OrganizationTokyo Athletic Association
Operation SupportTokyo Sports Association for the Disabled
Presenting SponsorTokyo Metro Co., Ltd.
Categories(1) Marathon (Men, Women, Wheelchair Men, Wheelchair Women)
(2) 10 km Race (Men and Women for U-18, visually impaired, intellectually challenged, organ transplant recipients)
Date & TimeSunday, February 24, 2013
9:05 a.m.: Wheelchair Start
9:15 a.m.: Marathon and 10-km Start
10:50 a.m.: 10-km Finish
4:10 p.m.: Marathon Finish
BroadcasterFuji Television Network Ink.
Courses(1) Marathon: Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building – Iidabashi – Imperial Palace – Hibiya – Shinagawa – Ginza – Nihonbashi – Asakusa Kaminarimon – Tsukiji – Toyosu – Tokyo Big Sight (The course is certified by the JAAF and AIMS)
(2) 10 km: Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building – Iidabashi – Imperial Palace – Hibiya Park (No official time record will be issued, as the course does not conform to the certification standards.)
Race RulesThe races will be conducted in accordance with the rules and regulations of the IAAF, the JAAF and the Race Organizer.
IAAF Road Race Label Regulations also apply to the Tokyo Marathon 2013, which has been certified by the IAAF as a Gold Label road race.
Time Limits(1) Marathon: 7 hours
(2) 10 km: 1 hour and 40 minutes
* The time limits are based on the gun time.
* The cut-off time will be enforced at each checkpoint due to limited duration of traffic control, security operation and event operation. The runners who fail to pass through the checkpoint before the cut-off time will be disqualified.
Furthermore, the trailing runners who fall behind excessively may be asked to leave the course at any time.
The list of checkpoints and their respective cut-off times (tentative) is provided below.
Maximum Numbers of Participants(1) Marathon: 35,500 participants (including 100 elite runners, 3,000 charity runners and 3,000 premium members of "ONE TOKYO," the official club of the Tokyo Marathon)
(2) 10 km: 500 participants
Eligibility1) Marathon: Must be at least 19 years of age on the race day
1-1) General participants
Runners, including handicapped, domestic and international runners recommended by the race organizer, capable of completing the race under 6 hours and 40 minutes.
- Athletes registered with the JAAF in fiscal 2012.
- Athletes not registered with the JAAF.
1-2) Elite Athletes
- Athletes, registered with the JAAF in fiscal 2012, who satisfy the special requirements set forth by the JAAF.
- Invited Athletes: domestic and international Runners recommended by the JAAF.
Total of 25 athletes, both men and women, capable of completing the race within 2 hours 10 minutes riding the racing wheelchair.
2) 10km Race:
Total of 275 male and/or female runners between 16 and 18 years of age on the race day who are capable of finishing the race in 1.5 hours or less (Runners born between February 25, 1994 and February 24, 1997 are eligible).
*Including 100 runners to be selected separately by an organization mandated by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government to run projects linked to the Great East Japan Earthquake recovery efforts.
2-2) Visually Impaired
Total of 50 male and/or female runners aged 16 and above on the race day capable of finishing the race within 1.5 hours
2-3) Intellectually Challenged
Total of 100 male and/or female runners aged 16 and above on the race day capable of finishing the race within 1.5 hours
2-4) Organ Transplant Recipients
Total of 50 male and/or female runners aged 16 and above on the race day capable of finishing the race within 1.5 hours
Total of 25 male and/or female athletes aged 16 and above capable of finishing the race in 35 minutes on the racing wheelchair.
Entry FeeMarathon: 10,000 yen for applicants living in Japan; 12,000 yen for overseas applicants
10 km: 5,000 yen for applicants living in Japan; 6,000 yen for overseas applicants
How to Apply1) Procedure
Runners can apply either via the Internet.
■ From PCs and smartphones:
(2) Application Period
From 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, August 1, 2012 to 5:00 p.m. Friday, August 31, 2012 (Japan Standard Time).
(3) Selection Process
In the event of over-subscription, a drawing will be held to determine runners. Results of the drawing will be notified to all applicants in mid-October (tentative).
Accepted applicants must pay the entry fee by money transfer to the designated account before the deadline.
*Applications from elite runners will be accepted from December.
*Applications from charity runners will be accepted from Wednesday, August 1, on a first-come, first-served basis (up to 3,000 charity runners)
*Priority applications may be submitted by the premium members of ONE TOKYO, the official club of Tokyo Marathon Foundation, from Sunday, July 1 to Tuesday, July 31 (3,000 places)
a: Top eight overall male and female finishers will be presented with awards. (They are not eligible for age-group awards)
b: Age-group awards will be presented to the top three male and female runners in each age-group category (at five-year increments) (Award certificates will be mailed after the race day.)
Top eight overall male and female finishers will be presented with awards.
PrizesPrizes will be awarded based on results and in accordance with a separate set of rules.
Pre-race Check-in(1) Dates: February 21, 22 and 23, 2013
(2) Venue: Tokyo Marathon EXPO 2013 site (Tokyo Big Sight, West Exhibition Hall)
(3) Hours: 11:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. (tentative) on February 21 and 22
11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (tentative) on February 23
* Please note that the check-in desks will close at 7:30 p.m. on February 23, so that participants will have time to prepare and rest before the race day.
(a) No check-in will be allowed on the race day (February 24).
(b) Participants must check in during the hours specified above.
(c) A photo ID is required for check-in.
(Check-in must be completed by runners in person; check-in by the nominee representing a runner is not permitted.)
(d) No check-in by persons who fail to present photo ID.
(e) Separate check-in for wheelchair participants will be announced later.
For inquiriesKNT Tokyo Marathon Entry Desk
Global Business Management Branch
Sumitomo-shoji Kanda-Izumi-choBldg. 12F, 1-13 Kanda-Izumi-cho, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 101-0024, JAPAN
Tel: +81-3-6891-9600 Fax: +81-3-6891-9599
Office Hours:09:30-17:30 (Except Saturdays, Sundays and National Holidays)
Privacy ProtectionThe organizer, in recognition of the importance of protecting personal information, abides by all laws and ordinances concerning the protection of personal information and adheres to the organizer's personal information protection policy when handling personal information. The organizer may use personal information for the purposes of delivering better service to the participants. Information may be used in connection with the preparation of the race guide, results notifications, notifications of relevant information, and the delivery of services by event sponsors, support organizations and their affiliates, in addition to results (rankings) announcements. The organizer or its representative may contact participants to confirm information stated in their application forms.
Miscellaneous issues(1) Entry fee will not be refunded in the event of the cancellation of the race if such cancellation is not attributable to the organizer.
(2) The participants who are registered with the JAAF must make sure to confirm their registration status with the JAAF prior to applying for a place in the Tokyo Marathon and enter correct registration information in the application form. The organizer reserves the right to verify the status. On the race day, JAAF-registered participants are assigned to the "start block" that is scheduled to take off immediately after the elite runners.
(3) Please be prepared for the race. This includes a physical check-up and sufficient training before the race.
(4) Personal belongings of the participants may be checked in at the start point. The organizer will transport them to the finish area. Arrival of the checked items may be delayed due to traffic conditions.
(5) Poor road conditions/delays in public transportation do not serve as grounds for excuse for participants' failure to complete the check-in procedure during the prescribed period or failure to arrive in time for the race start.
(6) No designs, logos or trademarks associated with corporate and product names may be worn or displayed for publicity purposes during the race (on the course and start/finish areas).
(7) The organizer may authorize third parties to sell photographs and other souvenirs.
(8) Instructions by the organizer must be followed with respect to all matters not provided for herein.
(9) Receipts for Entry Fees, etc.
・For credit card payments:
No receipts will be issued.
Please refer to the account statement issued by your credit card company.
・For payments through convenience stores:
No receipts will be issued. Please use the funds transfer stub in lieu of a receipt.
(10) The general information contained herein is good for the Tokyo Marathon 2013 only.
[Entry Fees and processing charge]
■ Agreement Concerning the Application for a Place in the
(Applicants must agree to the terms and conditions of application indicated below prior to filling out the application form.)
(1) The organizer shall not be held responsible for any sickness, injury, loss of personal belongings, or any other accident, beyond the administration of first-aid relief.
(2) Once your application form is submitted, no cancellation or change in the race category may be made for any personal reason.
(3) Forgery with respect to age and gender, and a replacement runner (runner other than the registered party) shall not be tolerated. Any applicant who commits such wrongdoing will be disqualified.
(4) Entry fee will not be refunded in the event of the cancellation of the race due to an earthquake, storm, flood, snow, accident, or epidemic.
(5) Overpayment or duplicate payment may not be refunded.
(6) All rights associated with the use of any images, photographs, articles and records related to the event, including the names, age and addresses (country, prefecture or city) of participants and their likeness for coverage by TV, newspapers, magazines or by the Internet, and all rights associated with the publicity based on the use thereof, shall belong to the organizer.
(7) The Organizer shall handle the personal information of the participants in accordance with the laws and regulations concerning personal information protection.
(8) The event will be carried out in conformance with all relevant laws of Japan.
(9) The organizer shall conform to all race regulations in addition to this agreement.
■ Application and Race Participation ProcessPremium members of "ONE TOKYO," the official club for the Tokyo Marathon, can apply in advance between July 1 (Sun) and July 31 (Tue). Applications for the Tokyo Marathon 2013 "Tsunagu" Charity Runners will begin on August 1 (Wed). (3,000 runners on a first-come, first-served basis)
■ General Application GuidePlease apply via the following methods: In the event of over-subscription, a drawing will be held to determine runners. Please pay your entry fee only if you have been confirmed as a runner.
* If the T-shirt size is left blank, the size for women will be Small and the size for men will be Medium.
Please use the following as a guide to determine your T-shirt size. (JASPO Standard)
■IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING APPLICATION
(Make sure to read and understand the following)
|(1)||Please note that multiple entries by an individual will automatically result in disqualification.|
|(2)||You are allowed to submit an application either for the full marathon or for the 10-km race. If dual entry is discovered by the organizer, the applicant will be automatically disqualified, and no fees will be refunded.|
|(3)||Declaration of false age, gender or personal information is forbidden. No replacement runner (i.e. runner other than the registered party) is permitted. An individual or group that is discovered to have committed dishonesty will be disqualified from the event AND may be banned from applying for future Tokyo Marathon events altogether.|
|(4)||No cancellation of entries, or alteration/amendment of information provided by applicants is permitted. The Secretariat may contact applicants by phone or by e-mail, only if there is any problem regarding the information stated in their application forms.|
|(5)||No phone inquiry may be accepted by the Entry Center or by the Secretariat regarding the number of applicants and drawing results.|
|(6)||All applicants will be notified of drawing results by e-mail or by postal mail in mid-October. However, undelivered or undeliverable postal mail or e-mail due to incorrect addresses furnished by applicants and confirmation of delivery status are beyond the responsibility of the organizer.|
|(7)||Neither an assignment of the right to run the race nor the nomination of a replacement runner may be made. If such act is discovered, the participant will be immediately disqualified. In such event, the organizer will neither make any compensation nor refund any fees paid.|
|(8)||The organizer will not be responsible for late arrival of entry applications attributable to the Internet connection problems or handling by the postal service.|
|(9)||PCs, operating systems and Internet browsers may not be compatible with the Tokyo Marathon website and may not allow users to apply online for a place in the Tokyo Marathon.|
|(10)||For the Tokyo Marathon 2013 and all future Tokyo Marathon events, only online applications will be accepted. No hardcopy application forms will be available.|